Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Yip Trauma

Poor Will.  He got hurt today.  We had to go to emerg and there were stitches.  It wasn't much of a fun afternoon.

It all started when I was walking along in my favorite neighbourhood in Toronto, doing some fun errands with my girl and my bud Lainey.  We'd just finished buying fruit & veg at the green grocers when I got a call on my cell.  It was William's teacher calling to say he wasn't feeling well, that his cold had gotten worse and he was lying down and refusing lunch.  "Oh dear," I said, "I'll come get him - but I'm about 45 minutes away."  No problem, his teacher would keep him with her whilst the other kids went down to the lunchroom.

So Elly and I cut our fun and games with Lainey short and head home.  After visiting the school office to sign William out,  we go over to his classroom.  "Hi Mummy!" he sings at me.  "I'm helping Mrs K organise this art closet!" he beams.  I turn to the teacher with what must have been a WTF look on my face. "He rallied," she explained ruefully.  He announced to us that he was feeling much better and wanted to "stay and yearn", so off Elly and I went, with me muttering under my breath about a nice lunch with Lainey that had been unnecessarily cancelled.  

The babe and I get home and eat our lunch. I leave Lainey a cheery voicemail saying "You'll never guess - he's fine.  We should have stayed!"  And two minutes later the phone rings.  But its not my bud calling me back, its the school calling to say, "William has fallen.  He's bleeding quite a bit.  We think he might need stitches.  Can you come right away?"  I literally throw Elly into the car and zoom over, park illegally and run in.  

My poor guy is sobbing his heart out on a bench with his teacher dabbing at his upper lip.  There is blood all over his face and nostrils (oh faces, why do you bleed so copiously?!).  And he didn't fall - someone threw a star-shaped toy at him.  Apparently hard enough to give him an inch long cut above his mouth that won't stop bleeding.  I don't know who the little punk was, or what he was thinking when he launched his toy at my baby, but he's now on my never-invite-to-our-house list. We call Daddy and tell him to come get Owen at the end of the day because three kids at the hospital is not a good idea.  Daddy agrees and cancels his meetings.  Good job Daddy, because mummy might have gone postal on you if you said no.

Still crying his heart out, Will gets into the car and we drive out to the hospital.  He's upset and hurting, but he still manages to notice the construction crew in front of us and ponders where they're going and counting the number of ambulances in front of the ER.  I breathe a little more easily, because if he can chat to me between sobs about worker guys and whatnot, then he'll be okay. 

A lot of waiting ensues.  Two and a half hours later we see a doctor who says he's going to need a stitch.  The doctor then disappears and we wait some more.  A nurse arrives and puts some gel on his face to numb it.  "The doctor will be back in 15 or 20 minutes," she tells me.  More waiting.  By now Elly has lost her mind, fallen asleep, woken up and lost her mind again with boredom and hunger.  I find a half mushed cracker in my bag for her and another nurse gets me some water for the kids and tells me the doctor will be along soon.  Twenty more minutes.  I'm standing half in our curtained area, half out, jiggling Elly on my hip, looking around for a doctor.  Its getting closer to dinner time and my kids are on the verge of melting down completely.  I berate myself over and over for not carrying snacks in my bag and what kind of a mother am I not to have toys and hey, look guys, I can blow up a surgical glove and you can tickle each other with it!  Where the bleep is the doctor?  

Finally a different doctor arrives and says he's the other guys boss, the other guy had to leave and he'll be continuing.  Fine, fine, just do it.  "Is he going to be okay with this?" the doctor asks me as he gets a big-ass needle out.  "Uh...well, he'll probably be a bit scared," I begin., "But f you explain what you're doing that might help."   "Swaddle him" he tells the nurse.  

I make soothing sounds to the mummified William and jiggle Elly a little more vigorously on my hip.  I smile and tell him he'll be fine and oh how delicious is the ice cream going to be when we leave?  The doctor roughly wipes William's mouth and makes him cry.  He moves towards my baby with the needle to freeze his mouth more.  There's suddenly a lot of blood and my poor sweet boy is crying hard and wanting to go home.  I rub his leg and say I don't know what, but my heart is suddenly pounding.  Its a lot of blood and he's clearly in pain.  I thought they'd put some freezing stuff on him, why is it hurting so much?  Why is there blood in his mouth, did the needle go all the way through?  Lots of blood as the doctor takes another needle and starts stitching.  Oh William, my boy, I'm sorry, it'll be over soon, its okay, its okay, you're being so brave, its okay, almost done.  My heart is pounding and I realise I'm gripping Elly too tightly, she's crying too.  I put her in her stroller and focus on rubbing Will's leg.  Its too hot in the room all of a sudden and if I don't start breathing properly right now I'm going to pass out and what good will that do to anyone.  Get a grip, your son needs you, do not pass out, and whewf, the doctor places the third and final stitch and I can hug my lambie tight.  Such a brave boy.  Not such a brave mummy.  

Finally home, with Daddy and Owie and Elly and ice cream from McDonalds.  Everyone goes to sleep right away.  

What a day.  And the kicker is, if I'd taken him home when I had the chance at lunch all of this could have been avoided.

Waiting for the doctor.

Not impressed with the boo-boo on his "yip"

A swollen, bloody mess in the waiting room.

Still waiting on the doctor and nothing to keep us occupied.

But thank goodness my guy still has a sense of humour.  Yuv dis guy!

3 comments:

  1. Boo hoo for the boo boo. Made me want to cry. But tell Will he's starting to look like a proper pirate! So sorry you all had to deal with this. Reminds me of a certain older brother, a glass coffee table and an impatient cousin.......

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, what a brave big boy William is! That boo boo looks like it hurt a lot :-( Let Will know that I'm very proud of him (and of you too)! He now has a scar to match his Auntie Karen's (from a Fisher Price toy)...hugs and kisses to everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hear you on the "if only" lament but I think you coped really well. ER's ARE scary, no matter what you're there for. And come to a Mexican ER - or any health centre for that matter, and you'll REALLY learn patience!

    ReplyDelete