Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Double Trouble, Double Schmouble

I've got a new pet peeve.  I'm sick of seeing twins portrayed as evil/naughty/creepy on tv and in movies.  I'm fed up with watching a cartoon with the boys and seeing their faces as it dawns on them that two of the onscreen characters are reviled by all those around them because of their bad/weird behaviour. "We're not like that, mummy.  We don't do that" they say in voices seeking reassurance.

I don't want the two of them to grow up thinking there's a certain type of behaviour expected of twins.  Or that the world is going to see the two of them as a challenge.  Its okay for ME to say that they're a challenge because I'm their ma, but don't you dare come over to me in the park and say "Twins?  Oho!  double trouble, eh?"

Sure, my boys aren't angels.  Yes, they drive me insane on a daily basis with their "Muuuuum!  He's not yetting me play wiv him!", "He's being RUDE again, Mum!", "I don't yike you!"s.  I admit that they are very good at cooking up all kinds of schemes that make me want to pull my hair out and throttle them at the same time.  But they are my boys.  My babies.  My twins.  And my Mother Bear instincts are kicking in again.

So enough with the double trouble.  Please just show us some twins that get along, that look out for each other, that play fun imaginary games in the backyard together and who share their snacks without being asked. Because otherwise I'm going to have to start telling my kids they're like Double Rainbows Across The Sky to boost morale. 

 

1 comment:

  1. Well, from my experience with the lads, I'd say that they're much more in the DOUBLE HAPPINESS category.
    Sharing snacks without being asked ... awwwwww...)

    ReplyDelete