Wednesday, March 9, 2011

A Very Hungry Birthday

We had a party for El on the weekend - just a little get together with some friends and other babies - and since Elly is such a huge eater (and because my wonderful blogger buddy Jen suggested it), it was a Very Hungry Caterpillar Party.

I spent a couple of days painting scenes from the book on our windows because...well why not, right?  Halfway through the first window I realised I was crazy, but by then I was committed.  Thankfully Amber came over on Friday and did an amazing job of the second window's sun and dots and coached me through the Hungry Caterpillar himself.






I also made some pretty awesome cupcakes if I do say so myself.  The outside just looked pretty plain...although my dear husband spent a night in front of the television cutting and gluing these little cupcake toppers onto toothpicks (if you haven't read the book, these are images of all the food the Hungry Caterpillar eats over a period of a week).

But it was the inside of the cupcakes that were really special...
Rainbows in honour of the wonderful colours in the book itself, with a lemoney cream cheese icing on top.

They were a big hit with everyone, including the birthday girl, who positively bounced in her chair when she saw the cupcakes.  Just like her mama, she loves her food...





And her big brothers were pretty please with them too.


 And Caleb decided that it wasn't a party until someone got nekkid

It was lovely having the kiddies over to help celebrate Elly's birthday and to see them playing nicely together.  I feel like we'll be seeing these friends grow up together at this table.

And speaking of playing nicely together, here's Owen being Prince Charming to Jocelyn's Princess, helping her down the stairs in her beautiful party dress.

Happy Birthday Elly, and thanks to everyone for all your lovely birthday wishes.


2 comments:

  1. Wow Pasc, you do the coolest things for your kids! My niece is one very lucky little girl. I wish I had been there...it looked like so much fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are the QUEEN of cupcakes Pasc! I bow to your cupcake expertise. I had literally no idea that you could make cake mix that colour. Can I hire you for our party next year ;o)

    ReplyDelete