Tuesday, March 8, 2011

I Carry Her On My Left Side

I was driving Elliot to her one year doctor's appointment this morning and turned on the CBC's The Current.  They were interviewing Xinran, a Chinese journalist and novelist who has written extensively about the devastating choices many Chinese mothers have to make due to the country's one-child policy.

As I drove along in the sunshine, with Elly sleeping peacefully in her car seat behind me, I felt overwhelmed with emotion.  Tears fell into my lap as Xinran recounted some of the saddest stories of newborn daughters being tossed aside, like trash, because they were not boys, of daughters being abandoned in the middle of the night, because they were not boys, of mothers drowning their daughters, because they were not boys, of mothers committing suicide, not being able to deal with their actions. 

I looked in the rearview mirror at my beloved daughter.  I remembered how thrilled Mark and I were when she was born, how much I loved her the instant I saw her, how perfect she was.  How on earth could you...my mind couldn't process how those mothers must have felt.  My heart broke for them, for those unwanted girls. 

Xinran went on to talk about adoption in China and how she has spoken with mothers who's families send their daughters away for adoption.  They all ask her, "Do you think the foreigners know how to hold my baby?  Tell the foreign mothers don't hold my baby on the right arm, on the left please because the left side is close to the heart. My baby will feel safe."

Let me always carry my daughter on my left side.  Let her always feel safe and loved.  And wanted.

If you want to listen to the interview, you can go here, or read about Xinran's book Message from an Unknown Chinese Mother: Stories of Loss and Love here and here

8 comments:

  1. You're on my left side Peeps :)
    Ma x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know it, ma. You've definitely always made me feel loved and wanted and safe. Except for that time with the frozen grapes...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, but it didn't make me feel all that safe, did it? One minute you're standing in the kitchen with your mother and brother minding your own business and the next thing you know there are frozen grapes hurtling through, and no child is safe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL - ah yes but look at the man your brother is today.... and I put it down to the episode with the frozen grapes :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Only just saw the pic of El at the bottom. LOL. Looks like the Rio Carnival made it to your kitchen

    ReplyDelete
  6. You can be on my left side any time you need me - I'm not sure I can carry you though :) Xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Once again, my dear friend, I know we are deeply rooted and deeply conneted, despite the miles that seperate...I too listened to the program as I drove up to Banff, with my babes in the back, and shed, well, tears.

    To all the women who have made ANY deision to better the life of there babes, as you have done and continue to do, dear friend, day in and day out....we are all blessed to have such strength, as we vicariously live through each others experiences and of course as we witnesses the strength our Momma's paved in road for us to follow (thank you 'Jill's)

    XOXO
    D

    ReplyDelete