Monday, September 12, 2011

Immersing Ourselves In The School Year

Have you seen this ad? Its one of my all time favorites.  Just because it conveys how I feel come the end of August.


So all that to say the boys did go back to school -  on Friday of all days.  It was a staggered start and I guess they were the last of the kids to go back.  I hadn't looked at the school's letter all summer, telling us which classroom they were in, who their teachers were, etc and I finally got it out on Sunday evening and thank goodness because otherwise I would have showed up with them like a lemon on Tuesday morning!  I felt a little let down at them not going back right away, but also partly relieved.  I got one last hurrah with the two of them before the reality of the school year set in and they headed back to class.

Except that they didn't "go back", they "began" because we changed schools this year.  I know, crazy.  One year of JK at the school around the corner from us and now I've whisked them out of there and put them in the french immersion school a five minute drive away.  I'm already very glad I did though.  Its a great school from what I can see.  The boys go in smiling and come out smiling.  On his first day, Will came out of class saying it was "double fun!" and Owen was high fiving me and Elliot right, left and centre.  They both proudly showed off their new french vocabulary - "oui", "bonjour" and "ici".  I love that the first word the teachers taught them was "yes".  Smart.  Very smart.   But they seem excited by the idea of learning a new language.  Understanding what mummy and daddy mutter to each other when we don't want them to understand might also play into it.  Mark and I are going to have to start speaking in Spanish or German I think.  Or Pig Latin.  "Ix nay on the ice-creamay." 

I think the fact that its only mornings at this school also helps.  Last year we were at a school that was one of the first in Ontario to do all day kindergarten and I loved that they were busy playing all day and that I got some quiet(ish) time with Elly.  I was initially dreading going from full day JK to half day SK since I couldn't see how we were going to fill the afternoons, but this past month at home with them has really helped us find the adventures in the everyday.  And for the kids, it seems like the change to half days was a bit of a relief.  Owen in particular seemed less anxious about starting school knowing I'd be coming to get him at lunchtime.  I'm hopeful we continue on a positive path and that I'm not blogging next month about pulling my hair out or that the boys have learned the afternoon tv roster by heart. 

As for Mademoiselle Elliot, she was a little sad when we drop the guys off on Friday and spent the morning wondering about "Woah-Woah?  Oh-Oh?", but today she took it in her stride and commanded the playstructure and sandbox at home with great glee.

Maybe it really is the most wonderful time of the year.

 One last hug before heading to SK! How on earth did they grow up so fast?

No comments:

Post a Comment