Tuesday, February 1, 2011

A Tale Of Woe

Do you have kids?  Do you remember your life before them?  Do you ever think back to those wilder, crazier times, where everything was about you and only you?  Do you miss any of it?

I don't remember too much about my early twenties - pregnancy and childbirth apparently killed off a good number of my brain cells - but I do remember going to brunch on Sundays without a care in the world, meeting friends for coffee and then deciding to take in a movie and drinks, going for long runs along the lake, road trips with my music playing.  It was a wonderful time and in my romanticized memory of it all, I recall a feeling of lightness and energy. 

But lately I have these strong waves of longing for this one particular thing I used to do all the time. 

I miss sleeping. 

Sure, I go to bed at night and close my eyes.  But its not sleeping by any means. Its just resting until the time when someone, and by someone I mean our youngest child, starts crying for me.  Note that its not an if, but a when, because her nightly siren song is something inevitable these days.  And she plays two or three gigs a night in that crib of hers.  

I long, yearn even, for the days when I used to sleep uninterrupted until 9am.  Heck, some weekends when Mark and I were DINKS (that's Dual Income No Kids, dontcha know.  Although we might just have been dinks too.  Kids make you better people, perhaps, lack of sleep and all) we slept in until lunchtime.  I used to sleep so hard I would drool all over my pillow.  Man, I miss waking up after a drooly sleep, hair plastered to my cheek, sheet lines etched into my face.  Those were some good times, my friends.  Good times. 

And now?  Now I'm crawling into bed, wonderful, delicious bed, only to be rudely awaken at midnight or two in the morning, or four, or five-thirty by a very loud and very demanding wail that goes "Ah-bwah-bwah-bwah-bwah!  Ah! Ah!  Ah-bwah-bwah-bwah!  Mam-mam-mam-mam!  Ah-bwah-bwah-bwah! AAAAAAAAAAH!!"  I usually jerk out of bed, and into El's room where she greets me,  two little hands white-knuckling the top of the crib, with more tears and yells until I pick her up.  Instant silence.  But don't be fooled, the silence does not mean its safe to return the package to its rightful place.  We've tried that before and its a big no no apparently for Her Ladyship.  If we thought she was loud before, that move only served to show us the full capacity of her lungs. 

So instead I end up sitting in her rocking chair, chilled to the bone, whilst my girl squishes herself tightly into me and inevitably starts pawing and pinching and patting and pulling away at my neck and arms.  To be honest, I don't love this part of the night.  What I love is drooly sleep.  Mine and hers.  What I'm getting is hyper-sensitive chaffed skin from pokey little fingers that won't stop jabbing at me.  And ice blocks for feet.  And a deep resentment for all the people out there sleeping soundly in their warm beds. 

But more often then not, the prodding and pinching slow down, finally coming to a stop, little hands rest lightly on my chest and I hear that wondrous sound of slow, steady breathing.  This is my cue to carefully raise myself up from the chair and ever so gently lay the sleeping child down into bed.  Holding of my breath to see if it takes and...yes!  I can sneak away to my own room, making sure to avoid all the creaky floorboards on the way.

I ease myself into bed, stick my ice blocks against Mark's shins and try to find some sleep myself.  Ah, here it is.  I relax into it and

"Ah-bwah-bwah-bwah-bwah!  Ah! Ah!  Ah-bwah-bwah-bwah!  Mam-mam-mam-mam-!  Ah-bwah-bwah-bwah! AAAAAAAAAAH!!"

Sigh.  I miss sleep.

7 comments:

  1. Unfortunately it doesn't end. After this you're up all night researching their svhool project which they only told you about this evening and is due in (on pain of death) tomorrow; after that comes the waiting up all night until they come home (if they come home) because they've borrowed the car to go pubbing, clubbing or "whatever" and are with that awful boy/girlfriend they presumably picked up at a refuge somewhere; finally they grow up, leave home and you're left to enjoy life with your spouse who at this advanced age snores so loudly you wonder why the neighbours don't complain. Sleep - you've had yours!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh those wonderous days of sleep ended once I had children. Even though mine are 13 adn 18 I can't remember the last time I slept past 7:30.....I too miss sleep!

    Think of everything you might miss if all you could do is sleep.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Pascale, I just wanted to reassure that we went through an absolutely awful few months with Em round about the time he was 1: he would wake us systematically 2 or 3 times a night, and for a while would refuse even to go to sleep in his own bed. It drove me crazy - I go CRAZY if I lack sleep - and we thought it would go on forever. Well, in the end, it got better, as these things do. The only thing is, I don't think there was really anything we could do except stick it out and wait for the "phase" to end. So I suppose my message is not so encouraging... except that my main point is "hang in there and it really will get better one day!" I just know exactly how you feel. You even end up resenting the baby, because he/she is preventing you from functioning normally. I wish you lots of luck and patience. And may it end soon xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. *Sigh* Sleep. Yes, sleep. How I miss it. Even though the boys sleep through the night, it's just not the same sleep we got BK (before kids). Everyone told us when we were expecting about 'kissing sleep goodbye' and to 'get all your sleep now..' but as we know, you can't bank sleep. You can't ask for a sleep withdrawal and use it on those nights where you feel like you have slept a total of 5 minutes. You know, grab that piece of sleep you withdrew from the Sleep Bank and feel like you have slept for 12 hours. Yep. Never again.
    *Sigh* Sleep. I miss it too my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I'll buy you a big, cozy, up-to-the-neck bathrobe to assist until Ms. E finds her groove again. It's your birthday soon and all ;)

    Failing that, drugs? (for both of you...?) ;)

    You know I'm right there with you. When we're in our golden years, and it's our arthritis (or ?) waking us at 4 am, we'll recall, with fondness, the good old days when our wakenings were at least greeted by the warm bodies of babies.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I feel a little out of place posting about this...as we are still in the SINKS phase (not DINKS since I selfishly gave up my job to train as a teacher) and I love my sleep. But Tim loves his sleep even more - he wakes up with pillow creases all over his face, dribble marks, totally spaced out for a good few minutes until he comes round. I don't think he is going to like the demands of children, when we reach that phase of life!

    But this post did make me think of one time you fell asleep, a little worse for wear, with the electric blanket on. I seem to remember you woke up the most hungover, dehydrated mess the next morning. And I don't think you realised at the time why you felt so darn hot...ha ha ha!! Those were the days. :)

    I wish you sweet, uninterrupted sleep, when little Elle lets you have it. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh how i empathize... not sure if you recall that Paulie and i were also lovers of sleep, and sleepers in until lunch time on many occasions. mmmmm sleep. sleepy sleepy sleep sleep.
    last week Miles made a habit of waking up just about every hour (no exageration - in fact, Paul thinks it was actually every 30-40 minutes at one point). It reduced me to tears. Then last night he only got up 3 or 4 times (yes, i said only... twas a massive improvement), and then he slept til 9:30 :). It was glorious.
    And i do agree with bamber that if we have to be awoken, it might as well be by our sweet (even if screaming) little babies.
    here's to more sleep!!!

    ReplyDelete